Making progress

This is more of a personal post rather than a sharing ideas one… Thought it would be good to read through my #Nurture1314 post and see if I have made a start towards meeting any targets…


I have! Hurrah!

I have moved back into the English Office this week so I can work more closely with my English colleagues, as part of my LP role and I have had the best week! It’s been lovely being in the same environment as them; talking things ‘English’; sharing ideas; sharing marking and planning anxieties. It’s been very rewarding and I feel at home again.

Following a meeting with out AHT i/c of T&L (acronym overload!) I now have some projects to focus on which involves coaching two staff to develop from Good to Outstanding and or agonising and planning some CPD to another school. All of my projects involve me working with people and focus on developing Teaching and Learning… Who could ask for a better job?!

And finally following the wonderful year 11 results on Wednesday, the English department rejigged groups to allow pupils to focus either on English only or to now complete their Literature course. I was so proud of my class all but 2 achieved a C or a B and those who missed out missed out by a measly mark 😞. So it was with a heavy heart that I lost two students to another group but I retain the rest of my original class to focus on, and prepare them for their Lit exam which I am ecstatic about.

What a tremendous first week back!

How has yours been?

Kathy 👍😃




I picked up this ‘Foldable’ idea up on Twitter on Tuesday and decided to try it out.

What: An interesting way to engage pupils with note-making and connecting with new information.

How: Pupils fold a double page in their exercise books in an ‘interesting way’.
Pupils then access (new) information for example from carousel activity, from the board, inspiration stations, visual aid…then record it on their foldable…

Why? They have their notes recorded in a fun and interesting way and have had to have thought about where certain bits of information go, in what order they go and how it looks.

It would also work as a revision tool with notes they already have but they refocus their notes and reorganise it.
The possibilities are endless!

Here are my results:







A lesson in 5* slides (inspired by @Xris32) *or there abouts!

Today I was really excited and impressed by something I saw @Xris32 on Twitter. He tweeted the crux of his year 7 poetry lesson using about 5 images of screen shots to capture the development of learning in the lesson.
Having planned some of my lessons for year 9 tonight, I thought I’d share my first lesson back with then in a series if images with only a brief explanation (if I can help it!).

Year 9 ‘Mysteries from the Past’ – exploring how writers creat mystery, suspense, tension and horror in pre20th Century Literature.

Aims and intentions:
Having read the extract and already researched Mary Shelley before Christmas I want pupils to have a quick refresher and then revisit the text, identify writer’s techniques used and develop their explanations of how the writer affects the audience and why that effect is created.









Ok so it was 8 slides but hopefully you get the idea.
I am hoping to stretch some pupils to evaluate so they can achieve level 7 but at the same time support pupils with developing their basic analysis to secure love level 6…
Let’s see how it goes.

Kathy 👍😃