Building on year 10s’ learning to help them improve!

Whilst marking last night I got a bit excited because in some (most, but not all) of my year 10s’ books I could clearly see the learning journey from the notes they’d made to the reflections they had given, to what had been recorded on their ‘what stuck?’ sheet to their practice essay plans.
I decided to take some pictures so I could record some fabulous work that I could then use for WAGOLL in case pupils are away or if pupils found it hard to visualise what I wanted them to do.

Here are some of the bits I captured:



After the notes pages I started snapping at their home works or their stuck sheets so I can improve the way I use those next time.




I was really pleased.

Then after marking their work and realising I has some pupils on As in their practice work and some pupils who hadn’t actually done one (arg!) I created DIRT activities, so by the end of the lesson they will have produced a well developed, detailed analysis paragraph that reflects their ability and understanding of the play Romeo and Juliet. I am hoping: all will have written at least 1 ‘dynamite’ paragraph… most will have used my feedback to improve theirs or to write on effectively… And some will have written another/developed theirs so that it further supports their first point or acts as a linked discussion point to enable them to show ‘sustained’ focus on the qu for that A/A* grade.

The colour charts are a way for some pupils to visualise the stages needed in order to develop and deepen their analyses effectively for a C or above. Some won’t use it individually and that’s fine but to start with, after modelling a paragraph from a student pupils will splinter off into groups to practice writing a paragraph together then they will carousel to peer assess and mark that paragraph and add to it/discuss it.

Let’s see how it goes!

Kathy 👍😃


Group work to explore how to organise the controlled assessment. 












I gave the class ‘points’ that discussed love (they could write their own) and a set of key quotations (again, they could add their own) they had to cut them out and stick them next to the point they matched/supported. This brought about discussion and reasoning skills. Most pupils found it extremely helpful for helping to organise the content they’d learnt. Their h/w was to then plan their own essay and the results of that were great. I had detailed plans that cross referenced sections of the play. I had detailed practice paragraphs and lots of originality which was fantastic. For those who it didn’t work for I would encourage them to try it for a lesson then work independently if they prefer so that the experience is more suited to their learning style and they get the most out of it. More pics to track the process later. These images are from lesson 2 out if 3-4.

Kathy 😃👍